
Sorry guys - I’ve totally been slacking on the Weekend Word Ups! I can only hope my absence has the effect Dennis Duffy describes in season one of 30 Rock:

“It’s like my cousin Teddy’s dog. Sometimes he just doesn’t want to lick my feet. So what I do is, I hide my feet from him for a couple of days, and when he sees them, he goes bananas!”
So in this example, you are the dog, and the Weekend Word Up is my feet.
Paula Poundstone!

Let it be known that Paula Poundstone is pretty much the best person ever, for the following reasons:
1)While living in the U.K., her surname provided me with much-needed assistance when doing weight conversion.
(e.g. 14 pounds = one stone, therefore in Scotland I weigh 8 Paula Poundstones*.)
*Weighing myself on the carpet while leaning on a chair, after several bulimic episodes.
2)B*tch tells it like it is!
It’s like she’s saying what we’re all thinking.
Until Elayne Boosler herself plops a bench & a glass of water down in front of a Toronto brick wall, I can’t think of a ladycomic I’d rather see pass through (and pass judgment on) our fair city. She hits the stage at the Diesel Playhouse tonight; expect to hear plenty of jokes about the weather (“it’s frickin’ FREEZING! Am I right?”) and Lost. (“I am completely LOST by Lost! Is it just me?”)
The Killers

The Killers are playing the ACC Friday night. Somebody told me.
If you’re planning on going, do yourself a favour & bring along a box of cereal, then tell everyone you’re a cereal Killer!
You’ll have almost as much fun as I did when I attended The Roots concert in a Roots sweatshirt & matching hat (before my roommate uh…ditched me…)

Oscar nominations:

The Oscar nominations were announced yesterday and all of Hollywood is buzzing with speculation as to who will take home the award for best picture. While oddsmakers weigh in with their carefully formulated techniques of selecting a winner, I prefer to stick to my own brand of rock-paper-scissors tactics. Witness:
Best Picture Nominees:
Slumdog Millionaire
The Reader
Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Have you ever spilled milk on a book? It’s the same as spilling water on a book except it smells really bad when it dries. It’s pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a book! With that in mind, I predict Milk will beat The Reader. Subsequently, dogs drink milk sometimes and also eat buttons (when they’re curious) so Slumdog will beat both Milk & The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Now, dogs hate frost (who doesn’t?) so if Frost/Nixon were called just Frost I would probably choose it to take home best picture. BUT I read in the tabloids a couple of months ago that a millionaire dog bit Cynthia Nixon (Miranda on Sex & The City), so I’m going to go with Slumdog for the win. Booyah.
BRING ON THE OSCAR POOL, JOHN ROONEY!
Hungry 30s Sale:

Honest Ed’s is holding a three-day sale from Thursday through Saturday, during which prices will be slashed to 1930s levels. A loaf of white bread will cost a quarter, T-shirts will be 10 cents, framed oil paintings are 25 cents, and socks cost a dime. 15,000 to 20,000 shoppers are expected to flock to the store, presumably on one boot, in a blizzard, through three feet of snow, uphill both ways.
Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs!
NOW Magazine has just released a lengthy list of things to do during the winter months, entitled “100 Reasons Why Winter Doesn’t Suck.” This inspired me to come up with my own list of fun-filled activities to partake in when the weather outside is frightful:
1.Sleep

2.Fetal

3.Nap

Have a good weekend! Celebrate this historic week with some delicious Barack-oli!
No comments:
Post a Comment