Sunday, December 23, 2007

Weekend Word Up! 11/08





Is a wannabe Kimmy Gibbler terrorizing your household? RottenNeighbor.com is a new site which gives the irritated and sleep-deprived a place to vent their troubles. Post a comment about that jerkface upstairs who blares Nickeback or rage about the late night comings-and-goings of your inconsiderate condo-mate. All of your venting remains anonymous, and little red houses on Google maps pinpoint the culprits!

Big is Beautiful!



Ladies, do you set off a wave of Sasquatch sightings every time you stroll through the woods? When your boyfriend looks at you from the side, does he mention you look similar to an upper-case “L”? Can you water-ski with great ease, even without equipment? My “man-footed” sisters, I feel your pain. (I seriously do, the boots I’m wearing today are at least a size too small.) Veronica Ljubicic feels your pain too—she’s just launched Divna, an online store specializing in cute shoes sized 9-13. Head over to www.divna.ca for a huge selection of footwear for us big-boned gals.


Here’s a “dandy” little tidbit for ya…



I just received this very informative article from Nikki Chia:

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN0644353620071107

In a nutshell, this article details how apparently the fungus that causes dandruff can have sex on your head.


Thoughts:


1) My scalp is getting more action than I am. SAD.

2) What kind of pick up lines do these things use? “Hey handsome, you look like a fun-gi…”

3) How long does it take for your scalp fungus to organism?


Movie Review: Lars and the Real Girl



You may remember Ryan Gosling as the Oscar-nominated actor from Half Nelson. Or perhaps as the swoon-worthy heartthrob from The Notebook. I personally happen to remember Ryan Gosling as the second-place finisher in Gladstone Public School’s 1992 lip-synch contest. How do I know this? Because on that fateful day in 1992, my crowd-pleasing rendition of “Friend Like Me” from Aladdin beat out the future Oscar nominee’s rousing rendition of “I’m Too Sexy” by Sir-Mix-A-Lot for first place.


It was a well-deserved win on my part (sure, he had choreographed dance moves, but I had parachute pants and a VERY realistic genie lamp!) but Gosling remained bitter about his loss until the very end of sixth grade. In fact, I’m convinced it was the bitterness and rage over said loss from which he drew inspiration for his self-loathing Neo-Nazi character in his breakthrough role in The Believer. Since losing the coveted $20 Pizza Hut Gift Certificate to yours truly, Ryan traded in his dancing shoes and song mimicry for challenging dramatic roles, and it seems to have worked out well for him (though this year’s Oscar loss must have brought back painful memories of ‘92).


That being said, Lars and the Real Girl is Ryan’s latest movie, and it’s good—really good. Ryan plays a lovable introvert who falls in love with a life-size doll. When I saw the preview, I thought, “I liked this movie better when it was called Mannequin.” However, unlike Andrew McCarthy’s comedic romp, this film is sad, touching, and just might get Ryan another Oscar nomination—but he won’t win! And when the Oscar ceremony is on TV next year, you know I’ll be watching in my housecoat eating bon-bons, drinking blush wine while painting my toenails, laughing with glee at the “gracious loser” face that is becoming oh-so-familiar to me. Then I’ll think to myself, “Man, sucks to be that guy.”


NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!

Yesterday I was forwarded an email with this photo attached. While some may deem the photo too gruesome and inappropriate for a mass email—especially a mass “work” email—I felt it was necessary to present this to my colleagues because it’s an amazing example of the value of teamwork and collaboration.


This is a photo of three domestic canines working together to attack a vicious crocodile. The crocodile, one of the oldest and ultimate predators—considered the "apex predator"—can still fall victim to the implemented “team work” strategy and cooperative mentality that is bred into the canines. The remarkable photograph, courtesy of Nature Magazine, shows the Alpha dog with a muzzle hold on the croc, preventing it from breathing, while another dog has a hold on the tail to keep it from thrashing. The third dog attacks the soft underbelly of the croc.





At times nature can be cruel, but there is also a raw beauty, and even a certain justice manifested within that cruelty.

No comments: